Saturday, January 23, 2010

See You Later, Coco!

Hello community! Hope you've all had a lovely few days since my last post.

I just wanted to get on here and post my thoughts on the whole Leno/Conan situation. Call me cliche at this juncture, but as a male of Irish descent looking to get into the television industry, you can more or less guess what the following few paragraphs will be.

I remember as far back as high school, probably earlier, when NBC aired Late Night the next evening (I think it was on at 5 PM?) on Comedy Central I would watch Conan O'Brien. Little did I know how involved he was in some of my favorite Simpsons episodes, but all of that aside I began to more or less idolize this fellow after a few episodes.

In second grade I was asked to write down what my dream job would be. I wrote down almost instinctively that I wanted to be a stand up comedian, wrote the entire page paper or however long it was and then realized that no second grade in their right mind should've written something of that nature. My rationale was that I enjoyed making people laugh and I'd love to make a career out of it. It wasn't until I started watching those Conan episodes that I really was finally able to admit that while I was young, that I was correct in my personal assumption. And to this day making people laugh is probably the most fun I can have on my own. It's a bit of a crutch, especially when I'm around people that are hard to please, but I cope.

But me aside, I think Jay Leno acted like a son of a bitch. I watched a video recently from back when he announced his "departure" where he said that he didn't want to be a 60 year old hosting The Tonight Show, and now he's coming back...to me that is absolutely unfair. Conan moved his staff, his family, and his entire life to Los Angeles for what was rightfully his, The Tonight Show and after a rough 7 months the network pulled the plug. Let's not forget how long it took Conan to get over as the host of Late Night...

And now Conan is gone from NBC, a company he thanked tonight, and I can't help but feel like the company I will soon be interning for, a company that I admitted to dreaming about working for my entire life, is really letting one of the funniest people alive leave because a 60 year old man can conjure better ratings (and this is only the short term, can Leno really be expected to last another 10-15 years?)?

I don't know...I can patiently wait until September for Conan to get a new gig together I suppose. I can just not turn on the TV until Fallon starts (I do watch Fallon, don't hate) or I can get in shape by vomiting my insides out watching Jay Leno slide back onto a show he clearly doesn't belong in.

You know what, I do need to get in shape. Leno, thank you for disgusting me!

And I know this is probably riddled with grammar errors, I just wanted to get a few things off of my chest before this subject becomes irrelevant, which by my count should be in about 25 minutes.

No comments: