Thursday, March 12, 2009

Watchmen review-NEW STYLE!

My problem with reviewing movies is I start the review and then forget all the details and when I go back I've lost them. That is the case with Watchmen, I started it and now I forget what I had planned on writing so I'd like to debut the ON POINT REVIEW, a quick run down of the movie, points I found good and points I found bad. Let's dance.

watchmen poster
Watchmen, director Zack Snyder


PROS
-There were multiple moments when I was absolutely wowed by the visuals, especially having read the GN, it came to life vividly more than once.
-The costumes were good, the periods all felt justified and nothing looked awkward.
-The fights (I'll mention that later as well) were well choreographed, and while unnecessary, entertained.
-Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jackie Earle Haley were both phenomenal in their roles, probably the two best in terms of overall effect and loyalty to the source material.
-The opening credits are godly.


CONS
-Billy Crudup, while a good actor, didn't do Dr. Manhattan justice, he seems to human to be this almost divine being.
-The new ending is malarky, it negates the meaning of the ending in the GN. I won't spoil anything.
-The movie overall proves nothing aside from the fact that you can adapt a classic GN. The changes are miniscule aside from the ending, and Snyder doesn't make this movie his seeing of Watchmen, he makes it his reading of the GN.
-The soundtrack, while historically and contextually relevant, oftentimes fluctuates the mood to a point where it takes a sincere, life changing moment, and makes it a comedy.
-The fights serve little purpose outside of just being fights.
-Snyder basically blurts out plot points that are (easily) left for the reader to figure out. I won't say spoilers but they are stupid.
-It's hard to get invested in many of the characters as they come in and out so frequently. Even Rorschach isn't nearly as developed as he should be.
-It tried way too hard to channel The Dark Knight, and it failed.
-The blue penis moved, and that was weird.

Okay that's it?

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I agree with just about everything you've said. The soundtrack made me so angry at times; it really detracted from the film and took me out of it completely at those moments. And the ending was a bummer for me too. In general, it was entertaining though, but I don't see myself watching this more than a couple of times. I'd rather continue re-reading the graphic novel.